As students of music we aim to train our ears to hear each note on its own terms, and when we improvise, to intend each note on its own terms. To many of us, especially jazz students, scales can be crutches that work against the goal of musical intent because relying on rules like “every…
- A New Accordion-Nerd Video!
- Phineas Newborn, and Revisiting the Question of “What Good are Scales?”
- Fun with Fills, What Good are Scales, and Thoughts on Growing Musical Vocabulary
- A Disappointment with My New Organ Clone
- Musing on Music Media: CD, Vinyl, and Streaming — Audio Media Sound Quality, and How We Got Here